The news about a mom-of-two losing her life after drinking two litters of water shook the world.
35-year-old Ashley Summers from Indiana was on a vacation with her family over the Fourth of July weekend when she started feeling unwell amid the scorching heat. Believing she was dehydrated, she drank 2 litters of water in a time span of 20 minutes, after she lost consciousness and was transferred to a hospital where she died after medics failed to resuscitate her.
Ashley’s older brother, Devon Miller, shared the tragic ordeal. “Someone said she drank four bottles of water in that 20 minutes. I mean, an average water bottle is like 16 ounces, so that was 64 ounces (approximately 2 litres) that she drank in the span of 20 minutes. That’s half a gallon,” he said, as per People.
The urge to have a huge amount of water after failing to keep herself hydrated throughout the day was fatal for this mother.
Her cause of death was listed as water toxicity, something that is extremely rare but occurs when a large amount of water is consumed in a short period of time, just like in Ashley’s case.
Dr Blake Froberg spoke to WRTV and explained that this occurrence is most common in summer and with people who exercise a lot or people who work outside under extremely hot weather conditions, thus they need to stick to a proper hydration plan. “The overall thing that happens is that you have too much water and not enough sodium in your body,” he explained.
Reports are that late Ashley was an organ donor and she donated her heart, her liver, her lungs, and long bone tissue.
We are so very sorry for this mom’s tragic passing. May she rest in peace.
Please SHARE this article with your family and friends on Facebook.